Hurricane Lane is close to hitting - so we all have a couple days off at home. It's a bit stressful when everyone is freaking out, buying an entire Costco worth of water and bread... We just bunkered down at home with candles, movies and tons of snacks.
To calm myself I decided to get creative and make some rose petal and rosemary smudge sticks.
I love getting flowers, but I really love reusing flowers and making them into pretty bundles, bath salts or tinctures. A "smudge" is typically a tied bundle of plant material that you would hang to dry and then burn for ceremonial or sacred purposes. There are a ton of different blends for smudges, but I'm a fan of using what you have on hand - for smudges, pick any herb that’s safe to burn or smoke.
What does a smudge do? Like other ceremonial practices, this isn't a hard fact based cure or fix - this is a physical and visually beautiful way to draw attention to something you are trying to accomplish.
As with anything in life, what you put attention on is what you will receive - that is nearly a fact, because it's your perception. Physically working with plants brings energy, and if you can plan what your intention is - you can help redirect energy to that place.
I chose Rose + Rosemary to open myself up for healing, strength, energy and to start a new path. After struggling a couple of weeks with a bit of depression, leading to lack of exercise and a bad diet - I'm ready to revitalize my self-love and respect. It's something I used to put myself down for - having an unhealthy couple of weeks, instead understand that you needed that time, and now my intention is to focus on self-love more.
Here's a pretty basic list of my favorites for smudging (and if you know any native Hawaiian plants that can be used please comment them below!!!):
- Mugwort: this plant used to grow invasively everywhere around where I grew up in Staten Island New York (I know, it's a strange association, Staten island and wild growing medicinal plants). It brings on lucid dreams that can be used as a way to direct thoughts or meditations, or to bring an intention to fruition - it also helps to push you to listen to your intuition - a great smudge or smoke blend for full moon ceremony or intention setting.
*** warning - if you choose to keep the mugwort close to where you sleep to induce lucid informative dreams, they can sometimes be very vivid dreams so just be aware :) ***
- Mint: smells soooooo good and it's energizing.
- Lavender: for calming, setting a calm mood, reducing anxiety.
- Sage: for clearly the energy in a space and more.
- Rosemary: smoothes the mind and prepares a space for creativity by helping to remove bad energy.
- Lemongrass: purifying and cleansing - also helps to keep mosquitos and flies out of a space for a little while.
- Rose: healing, grief, acceptance, for heart strength.